Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Gathering







We finally were able to get together with my Mother's siblings for a wonderful meal. This is usually for my Dad's birthday in February, but had to be put on hold for one reason or another, so March 21st it finally happened !

My Mother has had the tradition for many years of making homemade Gnocchi/Cavatelli, as this is my father's only request. My Aunt Connie used to be the one to make them for him each year, now it is my Mother's labor of love :)

My kids, and my niece and nephews have all made 'roni's" with Mom Mom. It has become just as much about the process as it is about the actual consumption of the meal. I'm grateful they all have had this time with my mother. I have such amazing memories of cooking with Aunt Connie, whether it be Lentils, or watching her roll with just two fingers the Sweet Potato Gnocchi at such a fast speed, your head would spin. So, it was only fitting that our gathering occurred just a few days past the Feast of St. Joseph, which was her gift to our family for many years. To me, St. Joseph's was like an unofficial family reunion....because of her, everyone gathered. So, I looked around at the crowd that was before me, and gazed at my mother's complete happiness at having the one's she loves dearly enjoying a meal prepared by her with love. My brother, Michael and his wife Patty took over Meatball duties (under my mothers watchful eye), which I know made Mom proud. I looked over to my father, who was sharp as a tack, and just reveling in all the stories and laughs going around. I saw all the kids devouring the food on their plates with reckless abandon, and I knew this was truly a great day, for all of us.
This a collection of pictures from the present meal back to some gems I came across.

No comments:

Post a Comment